Homework is an important part of school life, contributing to student progress and attainment. It plays a key role in extending the knowledge, understanding and skills that are developed in school and provides opportunities for students to consolidate, enrich and extend their learning. Work that is set will consist of meaningful and worthwhile tasks or projects designed to extend the learning of the student outside the classroom.
Homework Club is available Monday-Thursday 3pm-4pm in the ILZ. This will be a staffed provision were students are able to complete homework, use the computers and printers and ask for support with their homework. Please encourage your child to attend.
Aims of Homework
- To help all students make progress;
- To allow practice and consolidation of the learning done in class;
- To extend learning from the lesson, e.g. the completion of past exam questions;
- To embed key subject content in long term memory, e.g. the learning of vocabulary, spellings etc.
- To reinforce, practise and develop mastery of key skills e.g. calculations;
- To engage in wider reading and research in preparation for future learning;
- To allow students to gain and practise the skills and knowledge that they will be required to reproduce in assessment situations such as examinations;
- To give students dedicated time to reflect upon learning, correct mistakes and act on feedback to make improvements;
- To develop study skills such as independence, self-discipline, time management and working to deadlines;
- To encourage students to take pride in their learning.
Type and frequency of Homework
Homework should be planned thoughtfully to enable all students to make progress. There is an expectation that regular opportunities for homework will be set in all subjects (except core PE) although we recognise that every subject is different. The frequency of the setting of homework is outlined below.
Contact time per fortnight
Subject Specific Homework plans
Please follow the links below subject specific homework plans, these plans outline the types of homework set in each department.
Each department has mapped out extension tasks to further enhance their homework provision. All extension tasks are optional but allow students to develop further understanding of a topic or unit of work they are studying.
Please follow this link to the Homework Policy
Homework-Extended Learning Policy Nov 2021